Friday, May 30, 2014

Carless in suburbia


I wonder if it's true for suburban life anywhere, but in my suburbia, carless means I can only walk to the library, the grocery store, the park, a couple restaurants...wait a minute, that sounds pretty good, it's all just a mile and a half down the road...but if I want to go to a movie, or to my tennis coaching - which I really want to do - or to shop for a car (oh, the irony) I'm out of luck.  And if I were unable to walk a mile and a half, I'm really out of luck.  My vision of living in the big city is so much rosier, like there would be a bus or streetcar or light rail just down the street.  But maybe that's not so accurate either.

The truth is, I am spoiled by having a car, as most Americans are.  I wonder if I am up to the effort it would take to live carless.  Planning every trip - to walk, then use public transportation, or to ride a bicycle and brave the traffic.  And to get much fitter than I am now.

Sheesh - revelation here - Am I too old to go for the environmentally correct, healthier for the planet and maybe for me, nearly carless life?  "old, but I'm not that old, young, but I'm not that young" -- I think that's a song I've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment